One Year Hence: Reflecting on the TFI Journey

It has been a year since I transitioned from Teach For India (TFI). The year has allowed me to overcome the recency bias in assessing the growth I had in the 6+ years I worked there. If I look back, I see many gifts that I have received from the organization, most of them have been positive, and some just transformational. I wanted to talk about five that have been particularly important.

The Ability to Reflect and Learn

Most human beings grow in a Goldilock's zone where the challenge is just right - not too high to burn them out and not too low to make them feel bored. Throughout the six years of work, I always was in my stretch zone with occasional visits to the panic zone. Therefore, I enjoyed much of the work I was doing. More than the enjoyment though, the diversity of the work that came with my role as a teacher and a director ensured I was learning very rapidly. 

When I transitioned, I left with a bit of an imposter's syndrome saying I was leaving the jack of all trades but the master of none. However, as I have applied myself to solving other problems, I realized the one thing that I have built is the ability to reflect and learn - no matter what the context. As a result, I have also found myself to become deeply self-aware - realizing my values, strengths, and above all, purpose. 

A Community 

I was a typical engineering-management graduate set on a path of living a secure, comfortable lifestyle. Many around me were chasing the wrong ideals - money, stature, recognition, comforts - and some even took pride in flaunting them. I recognized a deep sense of dissonance within me. I felt I was a misfit. I would come back home feeling unhappy. 

However, at TFI, I found a community of idealistic, value-driven individuals who believed in an alternate reality. I felt I belonged here. I received care and support. I felt people could understand me and I could understand them. 

Courage  

While I spoke about the community of peers, the communities we worked in served an even more important purpose. As I saw the everyday challenges of the children, their parents, their teachers, and their school leaders, it put my whole life in perspective. I lived a life that was relatively easy and comfortable. I had many privileges that I took for granted. I had much more than I needed.

Most importantly, I realized what matters is the stuff that is within you than what is outside. Therefore, I have little to lose as long as I remain authentic and true to my values. This realization has been very liberating. I have been able to ask difficult questions. I have been able to make choices that are anchored in what is necessary instead of what is easy. 

A Talisman 

One thing TFI did was to transform what was a depressing statistic to personal stories of truth and hope. Whenever I think of a decision I make today, I think of what it would mean for the 70 children that I worked with. What would they say in response? How would they gain from it?  

This varies from everyday choices, like "Do I need to purchase another plastic object?" to important choices, like "What is the kind of work I want to do?" If I buy another plastic product that ends up in a landfill, I know the consequences it has on communities that live around it. If I work in an enterprise that promotes just mastery for examinations, I know the students will not be able to cope with the challenges of our modern world. These children have become the guiding light for my choices. 

At the banks of Sabarmati | Weak men, Gandhi, Favorite quotes


Empathy and Compassion

This possibly has been the most profound transformation I have seen in myself. I used to have a me-centered view of my own life and the world. Thanks to many opportunities to working with the people and stakeholders at TFI, I have learned to see the world through the eyes of others. In fact, doing this was the only way to be able to accomplish our collective goals as a team. 

I have understood their stories and see their authentic self. In the process, I have discovered what is good in people and have been able to collaborate with them for learning and work. I have been able to connect and support them through their own moments of dissonance, and not jump to unsolicited advice. 

But above all, I have also learned to balance high expectations with empathy and compassion for myself. My earlier self would never be as forgiving if I didn't finish what I had planned or if I made mistakes or if I just slowed down the pace of work. But now, it all seems a part of life's ups and downs, ebbs, and flows. 

Life is good!  

Comments

Popular Posts