To the A-Team of the J-School



I can't imagine how much more difficult the last two years would have been without each of you. You have been with me through each trial and tribulation and through every success and jubilation. You are the incredible 11 who I have had the fortune of working with during the 2 years of the fellowship - my co-fellows, my co-travelers and my friends. I am writing this post to deeply express my gratitude to you.

Pritish, 
I worked more closely with you than anyone else in the team. We had our backs against the wall with the children barely showing any progress at the end of year 1. We put our heads together to envision a classroom like Jafari hadn't seen in a long time. We saw a part of that vision become a reality, even though the reality was short lived. We were able to drive a sense of focus and a love of learning in many kids - sparks of which are still alive in many of the kids. We were consistent in our high expectations, which has forever made me believe that any kid can deliver if excellence is demanded from them in every small thing on every single day. I couldn't have believed in the potential of every kid had it not been for what we achieved together. I couldn't have kept reinventing myself when faced with repeated failure had it not been for that belief. I owe my sense of possibility to you. 

Rajesh,
If I were to call someone a Universal Giving Tree, it would be you. The selfless and unending support that you gave us during the first year of the fellowship helped us handle the multiple crises in school this year with equanimity.  Despite your incredibly difficult first year, you came back and truly transformed the environment in school to make it conducive for the new fellows. I had always been a lone warrior but your conduct taught me the value of compassion, empathy and trust in human relationships. To inspire others to action is the toughest thing and you did it with tremendous ease, which is why you will always be someone I look up to.

Neerja,
I know you believe you are a disruptive fellow and you have let your actions impact the well being of your class and your self. Considering the amount of stress you have faced working with just half the team for more than 3 months in this academic year, you have done incredibly well. Many others would break down a lot sooner than you did. I take pride in my tenacity, but even I feel that this time, the burn out is palpable and has impacted my effort in the classroom. You have shown tremendous resolve in just being there in the classroom everyday. You have shown a lot of care for our team, in ensuring we are not alone on the most difficult days, the ones that mattered the most. It takes a lot of courage and you have plentiful reserves of that.

Piyali,
Despite not being in the same grade and teaching the same classroom, you have been one of my most active thought partners and sound boards. I have almost thought aloud everything on my mind and in my heart with you. You have always given me sound advice and unrelenting support. The second year in particular would have been impossible with you, considering how much our grade team struggled with serious and unexpected crises. I would love for us to work together in the future as well because of your high levels of accountability, professionalism and wisdom. Stay strong and remain the source of strength for people around you!!

Harry,
You are a big man with an even bigger heart. I have rarely met a better listener than you. We could turn to you at any moment and you wouldn't disappoint us. You would always be there for us - giving your free hugs, massages or advice. How I have missed that this year!! There are few people who have a deep sense of conviction in their dreams and you are one of them. I am glad you have chosen the path you have, for it will bring out the best in you.

Suman,
You have one of the most innovative approaches in the team and it shows in the way you engage students in the lessons. More importantly, you also actively document and share your experiences and reflections with us, which pushes us to think harder about integration. Whenever it comes to creativity in the classroom, I always turn to the examples you share with us. The cool way in which you deal with the classroom of adolescent 8th graders is commendable. It has helped you create one of the strongest culture among classrooms in Jafari. Harvard has a lot to gain by giving you an opportunity to join their ranks. Always remain a thinker and innovator and don't get caught up in the details of management - leave it to mortals like us!!

Jigar,
Last year, you were the 9th fellow in the team. If there is one person we have all missed this year, it is you, considering we have had only 7 fellows in school everyday most of this year. Through you, we could connect with the kids in ways the framework of the fellowship didn't allow us. Through you, we could keep the team sane in situation of crisis - because you were one person who could handle and teach any class on the floor at a moment's notice. We could share our frustrations with you knowing you would always understand and never judge. Even this year, despite the distance, I have always turned to you for help (in matters pertaining Neerja and the kids) and you have always responded in time. You would make an incredible teacher, considering the passion you have for kids. I hope someday you come back to work for them and spread many more smiles!!

Akriti,
You have been able to create trust among kids beyond a level that is comparable. Your deep connect with each of them amazes me, because that is a teacher that I haven't been able to be (partially by design, partially because of lack of aptitude)!  This year unfortunately saw you out of action at many different points due to circumstances beyond your control. I wonder how different things would have been for Neerja and me if you were there through those days. We have missed the sense of calm you bring to the sections on our floor. We have also missed all the dirty talk that lightened up our days last year - in the company of Jigar, Harry and Neerja. I hope you make the most of your new found freedom in a new country!! 

Subhankar,
For a first year fellow, you have shown tremendous grit in coming to school every single day of the first year. After institute, Jafari hits you as a rude shock but the calm nature you showed during the first few units was commendable. Not just that, you had Rajesh's huge shoes to step into having most of his kids in your classroom.  You did well to reach out to each of them. In the month of September, agreeing to merge your classes for the sake of our grade when your class was beginning to show a semblance of culture was a huge sacrifice you made for us. I couldn't imagine how Neerja and I would have lasted the month had Piyali and you not stepped in to help us. Your passion for achieving success with these kids is eminent. I hope you always remember the reasons for taking on the challenge in your mind, before thinking of the reasons to compromise on your vision for your kids.

Sara,
You started slow but your learning curve has grown steeper with time. There were many days in the last term you may have felt like not coming to school, but I am sure the kids saw those days as a show of your strength and grit, eventually respecting you for the effort you put in for them and complying with your directions. I am immensely proud of where your class has reached as far as management goes. Six months ago, I would have never thought I would say this but I see you as a 'voice of reason' among the 14ers considering the way you built consensus in the team in discussions we have had off late. In Jafari, seeing success is incredibly hard and I know you are struggling with it. I hope you develop a keen sense to reflect and identify your small achievements. More importantly, it is even more important you celebrate them whenever they come. That will always keep you going.

Sarvesh,
You are the man who saved our life. You probably had to do the toughest thing to do - leave one family and call another one your own - especially with the other one being what it is! The struggle you have faced teaching across the three classrooms with varying cultures has been humongous, more so with us not always being available to help you. Yet, I have never seen you shy away from stepping into a tough situation and taking control. Your levelheadedness and maturity beautifully balances Subhankar's visionary streak and Sara's critical thinking. With the right amount of shared planning in the vacation that incorporates learning from the last few cohorts as well as closely coordinated execution, you can lead the grade team and the school team to success. 

They say the true colours of people show clearly in the face of adversity. We have had more than our deserved share of adversity during these two years. I see each of you has shined even more brightly as the months have gone by - even though some of us are in a place where we don't see it yet! 

As we end the fellowship and as some of the battle scars heal, I hope we never forget that we stood together despite everything that went wrong - not giving in and not yielding. I wish we see the success we achieved and the lives we positively touched. I want us to leave holding our head high - without regrets.

PS: I have been doing this Gratitude Experiment the whole of this week. You should try it out too to get off the hedonistic treadmill.

Comments

Popular Posts