What makes your gift special?

It was my parent's anniversary yesterday. My sister and I gave them a walk down memory lane in the form of a story which was illustrated with snaps which dated up to the year 1985. No material present could have given us so much joy as the expression on their face, the look of surprise and amusement, but above all happiness.

Off late, I have tried to make a conscious effort to ensure that the gifts I give my close friends and family members are personalised for them. A perfume or a pen might suit a distant associate but then it surely doesn’t make for a memorable gift.

Although, a handmade gift might not look as finished as a readymade item, perfection is secondary if your gift is the only one of its kind. A father who receives a personally designed Father’s Day card every year from his daughter will certainly treasure each one of them because they are special. I too have kept all the gifts/cards my sister has given me on every birthday. These gifts are the kinds just looking at which you are taken back to that day, acting like illusionary time turners.

Besides, if you are not born creative, there are always ideas you can borrow from others. There are plenty of options available on the net. To name a few which I can think of (some I have already implemented), there are message boards with photographs, scrolls with poems, pseudo-commandments for self-improvement, calendars, photo-testimonials and the old and reliable greeting card. If, like me, you too are bad with art and craft, you can always go digital. Photoshop rocks and so do thousands of others photo-editing software. If you are feeling too lazy to make a souvenir, at least give them a surprise in the form of a party/lunch/dinner with friends. If you don’t even want to bother coordinating, drop in at their place at 12 AM and be the first to wish them.

There’s no reason why you can’t make someone’s day more pleasantly remarkable than it already is. It is just a matter of initiative and understanding what gift the person will connect with the most. Skill is inconsequential in comparison to will. What are you waiting for?

Comments

Popular Posts