It wasn't that bad a day after all!

I spent the early hours of my Sunday morning hunting for tickets to watch Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na. Note that I have said early hours of MY Sunday morning, which actually wasn't very early, well close to mid-day. I called every helpline possible but the only response I got was "This number is busy. Please call again later." in the oh-so-highly monotonous voice (High time they give the prerecorded messages a revamp).

Since I couldn't get through most multiplexes, I thought of booking the tickets online, but as luck would have it, my net refused to work. I even tried a single screen theatre, the B-grade kinds and he tells me the only show for which tickets are available is the current show of which 25 minutes are over! The tickets for the next show were being sold in black, for two and a half times their price (100 bucks is day-light robbery for a theatre of its class).

After some deliberation, we lost all hope of watching the movie. Nonetheless, we decided we'll book for tomorrow so we at least have something to look forward to the next day, if not the same day.

We reached home in time for the hyped finale of Wimbledon and the Asia Cup. The over dose of cricket and hangover of the 20Twenties helped me decided against watching the cricket match so I chose the former. And fortunately, the Gods blessed me with the best tennis match of my times!

I felt like Nadal too when he said "Well, is impossible to explain what I felt in that moment, no?" I haven't felt the same as a spectator ever before. The match was more exciting than a roller coaster journey and a adventurous trek put together. The tennis played was such a high-level that your heart wanted to say 'bravo' to every point won.

Personally, I am a Federer supporter. His grace and fluency on the court are unmatched. After he lost the first two sets, I was hoping for a miracle. It rained right in time.

When I turned on the television, half an hour after the play resumed, Federer had won the third set in a tie-break. I was back on the couch. And my sister's and my shouts of oohs and aahs and wows and shits were as loud as ever.

I didn't move after that. Not even during the second disruption due to the showers. Everyone had fallen asleep. Even our cricket team lost in haste (guess they wanted to see the match too). The match had seemed to have gone on forever. A never-ending movie filled with suspense and drama of three match points, untiring baseline shots, unstoppable aces and unimaginable rallies ( you think that's it, it can't get any better, and the next moment you realise how wrong you were). Beyond a certain point, it didn't matter to me who won. They had proved that they were champions in their own right, far ahead of the rest of the current lot and may be among the greats of the yesteryears.

Fortunately, I didn't get movie tickets. I wouldn't have known what I was missing had I not seen the match, a clash made in heaven.

Comments

Unknown said…
That seriously killed my sleep. Just wished i didn't have to get up early the next day.

Popular Posts