It's so hard to say good-bye...

There has rarely been a time in my life where I have had such diverse and confusing emotions as I have today. I was so looking forward to the end of college, but yet, when I face the last day of my college life this Saturday, I don’t want it to end. I never loved my college. In fact, the balance of indifference had tilted towards a sense of disdain to the ways of its functioning. So what has been this reason for the change? Is it the attachment with teachers? May be with their quirks, but that’s not a strong enough point. Is it the activities of the college? Well, whatever I loved about those activities has ceased to exist, so that can’t be the reason. I guess it’s the people, my peers, my pals.

I have spent four years with them and during this period, they knowingly or unknowingly have become my habit. I am in awe of the intelligence of some and hate the sycophancy of others. I enjoy the humour and respect the humility of a few. In every way, each one’s idiosyncrasy and/or behaviour have/has become a part of my world. Without sharing, bitching, caring, laughing, conspiring, envisioning, learning, winning, losing, participating and cribbing with them, my days are incomplete.

The people have taught me so much. I don’t think I am a great engineer at the end of my tenure, but I do know that I am a better person. It is the kind of polishing which no teacher can give you or no exam can gauge. Perspectives of the most contrasting shades are what they have given me and it is these perspectives that have widened my frame of thought, sometimes, even altered it altogether.

This was a bunch of people who would never hesitate to tell me, “Dude, you are wrong” and who would also say “Man, go for it!!” both with equal forthrightness. We have debated over petty issues, but always in the healthiest spirit. I doubt the walls of diplomacy will ever lower to such a level again, as they had in this last year.

I can go on and on about them and what they mean to me, but of all the feelings, I can now identify the most overpowering one. Their presence may have mattered, but their absence surely will. It is a matter of great pride to have been in their company. To my friends I will say:

Thank you and farewell, though I hope it is not a farewell in the truest sense. I would rather say see you later than wish good bye. (I cannot believe my eyes are moist for losers like you!!)

Comments

Unknown said…
A good sentiment.
And I agree with you.
I've always preferred Au revoir to Adieu
Anonymous said…
Nicely put, I couldn't have done better. I did try. But mine was wat it sounded like, an apology, never an expression of emotions.

But i still wonder y abhijeet commented to ur blog and not 2 my post. [:)], guess i'll never change.
anyway,

Its been a pleasure sir.
Anonymous said…
Ahh, so sorry, he did comment on my email too. I didn't see it b4.
Anonymous said…
Gr8 work i liked it............
but cud u please change the backgrond...it was hurtin my eye...had to literally strain 2 read.....

Cheers nyways gud job...
Unknown said…
Cups,emotions well packaged!!!

btw i ws wondering which part of d blog i prolly figured in...yah i get it d bitching part:P

lol...bt seriously I too hate to say GoodBye so I'll say Till V meet again!!!
The Illuminator said…
@Rahul
Yeah, u'll be the chairperson if we ever have a bitching society [:P] Bt u feature majorly in the 'perspective' part too. Besides, u were among those whose presence definitely mattered!!
Unknown said…
Eloquent... And just wanted you to know that your tagging game has reached me too :-)
The Illuminator said…
@Vishy
Vishy frm SFMC???? Nice to see u on my blog..The whole pt with tagging is 'sharing the love' in the bloggers' world. [;)]
Anonymous said…
just wandered into your blog. know exactly what you mean. couldn't wait to get out of college. just didn't expect it to happen so quickly.
The Illuminator said…
@astrodomine
No one does...You have a great blog, but I have no time on my hands right now. Will catch up with it later.
Unknown said…
yeah, Vishy from SFMC :) Never heard of myself referred to as that.. But who are you dude?
:(( :(( I just took admission to my last year in college this Friday!! Man I hate to accept this but damn its gonna be the Last year!! :(( Dude its so difficult man!unlike u engineering guys..I really love MY college!!
Hedonist said…
made me cry Dawdaaa,nd datz no exaggeration....wonderful peice f work....touches ur heart coz it is sooo true...i identify wid it absolutelyyy......cheerz kapz cheerz...

prit sa
The Illuminator said…
@MB
Not that we hate it, just that you have enough of it in four years to look for someplace new.

@Prit
Hmmmm...thank u. Study though I know reading my blog is better than 'udas' shetty ;)
Shruti said…
Very well written...i also went through all these emotions when i graduated this year.... Seriously college life rocks..

Popular Posts