Wild and Free


“’cause I want to live like animals
Careless and free like animals
I want to live
I want to run through the jungle
The wind in my hair and the sand at my feet”


When Savage Garden came up with this song, I really am not sure what their inspiration was. But yes, the song makes you want to break free. No, unlike my last blog entry, this time I don’t want to be an animal. Through this, I pay a tribute to all those people who epitomise the spirit of this song.



It is a result of efforts of these people that we still have a lot of creatures walking with men into the 21st century in spite of man’s mindless and self-centred growth. Yes, I am talking of the wild-life experts, film-makers and environmentalists.

Personally, I was not as much a nature lover till I got hooked to all the channels which showcase riveting documentaries. A lot of time I spent in front of the idiot box is with the Irwins, Corwins and Attenborroughs. Perhaps, in this case the idiot box proved of a more productive use than otherwise.

There’s so much to learn from them. The situation was quite hopeless when they started off with their efforts. The only reason they have succeeded in their cause is that they were resolute. It is heart warming seeing Irwin’s children continuing to contribute to their dad’s dream, despite the fact that he was killed by an animal himself. The passion that emanated from his work is nothing less than inspiring.

The direct consequence of this is, having educated ignorant people like me and inculcating in me a passion for animals. The fear of animals has been replaced by a new found respect for the species who share our planet.

Nonetheless, I am still appalled to see that so little is being done in our country for animals. Stray dogs are abused on a regular basis, cattle is transported and placed in inhospitable and cruel environments, the big cats are killed for the hide and elephants, rhinos and hippos for the ivory.

Good work is being done in our country by a few individuals and organisations, but until the masses remain passive and unperturbed by what is happening to their environment and habitats of other creatures around them, not much can change!

“Compassion in the jungle
Compassion in your hands yeah
Would you like to make a run for it
Would you like to take my hand yeah”

Comments

Popular Posts